Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Moving Forward

As I move forward in my recovery from breast cancer I cannot help but reflect back to that time of such uncertainty and insecurity when I wondered what the final outcome would be. Would the treatment work or was I doomed to a severely limited lifespan.

I started to prioritize the things in my life that meant the most to me. I always remained positive during my treatment but I still wanted to be sure I put most of my emphasis on the people who had really cared about my existence and recovery.

In sitting down to do that I took many factors into account, but the most important to me was their loyalty and discretion. Because I really did not ask much of my friendships in the past
it was important that those chosen few be people I could rely on.

The interesting thing about all this is that the people whom I never thought would be there were and the one's I thought would never leave my side did. I think it is important to realize two things. First, longevity and loyalty even though both start with an "L" have nothing to do with one another, and secondly there are no sure things, there are people out there who really care and exhibit true compassion and there are those who do not.

I feel this is not necessarily a character flaw but it is simply the fact that there are some people who really cannot handle the commitment it takes to be there for you no matter what. I would tell you to chose carefully and then disappointment cannot rear its ugly head.

All in all God has protected me well. I have had what I have needed when it was necessary.

Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment